- Shelter Management
Monett High School FEMA Shelter
Shelter will open when the sirens are activated.
Household pets are allowed if they are in a cage.
Tornado Protection Zone (TPZ)
The Monett High School FEMA Shelter will be available for residents in the community that do not have basements or other safe rooms that live within what we refer to as the "Tornado Protection Zone" (TPZ). Image showing zone is above.
The TPS in which you are located is the intended tornado protection zone.
Basic Sheltering Rules
We encourage every citizen to Shelter In Place in the event of severe weather. Seek a location within your current location rather than try to get to a remote shelter. Seldom is there enough time to go to a shelter other than the one in your own location.
Don't forget the basic rules for effective sheltering during a tornado or other high-wind event:
- Inside beats outside
- Below ground beats above ground
- Lower floor beats upper floors
- In all instances, place yourself in an interior room with multiple walls between you and the exterior.
We recommend our citizens employ at least three means of hazardous weather notification & information:
- Outdoors - Warning Sirens
- Indoors - NOAA Weather Radio
- Cell Phones - Weather Notification Service